Becoming an LPN in St Louis
St. Louis is a wonderful place to start a practical nursing career. According to analysis on projected job growth, an ever-increasing number of nurses is needed as longevity improves, and the aging population continues to grow.
A recent U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report found 5,460 practical nurses in the St. Louis area. That amounts to about 13% of the total number of nurses in the city.
Students can complete a full-time LPN program in around 12 months of study. Part-time students can expect to complete in around 24 months or more, depending on the program details.
The Missouri Division of Professional Registration Board of Nursing licenses LPNs and approves nursing training in the state.
What subjects can you expect to cover during practical nursing study?
- Human Nutrition
- Pharmacology for Nurses
- Mental Health
- People Skills and Psychosocial Nursing
- Surgical Nursing
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Nursing Children
- Nursing Older People
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Mental Illness and Addiction Recovery
Schools That Offer LPN Programs in St. Louis, MO
Applied Technology Services – MET Center
- Website: http://www.appliedtech-stl.com/
- Address: 6347 Plymouth Ave, St. Louis MO 63133
- Phone: (314) 746-0788
This dynamic curriculum includes classroom work, labs, and working at local clinical sites. Along with the courses listed above, you will also cover human growth and development, fundamentals of nursing, medication administration, and behavioral health. Health simulation will make up a large part of your second and third trimesters.
- Open only to those aged 18 and over
- Send the completed application
- Provide high school diploma or GED details
- Mandatory entrance exam
- Supply three professional references
- Submit to a 5-panel drug screen
- Mandatory background check and family registry checks
- Physical exam
- Obtain immunizations or supply documents supporting recent inoculations
Employment Opportunities for LPNs in St. Louis
Organizations in St. Louis that regularly hire practical nurses include:
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Rowan Health
- SSM Health
- BJC HealthCare
- Home State Health Plan
- Mercy Health
- Esse Health
- Allergy & Asthma Care of St. Louis
Other healthcare-related LPN employment opportunities: