Becoming an LPN in Madison
Madison, Wisconsin currently has several schools with practical nursing programs.
At present, practical nursing is a great career option as demand for such professionals is projected to increase through the next several decades. A recent Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report found that 630 practical nurses were operating in Madison, which comprised 6% of Madison’s total number of professional nurses.
If you’re looking to study practical nursing full-time, you can expect to finish the program in around one year. Part-time, programs take 24 to 30 months. Each program is comprised of lab work, classroom lectures, and practical health experience.
The Department of Safety and Professional Services licenses practical nurses and oversees training programs in Wisconsin.
Though programs may vary from school to school, most LPN programs cover the following subjects:
- Caring for Children
- Anatomy / Physiology
- Elder Care
- Nutrition / Dietetics
- Nursing Pharmacology
- Nursing & Surgery
- Information Technology
- Medical Writing (Composition)
- Psychosocial Nursing
- Professional Skills
- Mental Health Care
Schools That Offer LPN Programs in Madison, WI
Madison Area Technical College
- Website: https://madisoncollege.edu/program/practical-nursing
- Address: 1705 Hoffman Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53704
- Phone: 608.246.6780
At Madison Area Technical College, students gain hands-on experience from qualified professionals in a mix of digital classroom settings and state-of-the-art labs. Students will also gain practical experience in actual healthcare settings. Other topics covered include data collection, care plan development, interpersonal communication, and whole life care.
- Submit to mandatory background checks
- Evidence of up-to-date immunizations: MMR, Varicella (two shots – minimum four weeks apart), TDAP, influenza, and Hep B, two-step TB skin tests
- Evidence of CPR certification
- This program is available as full-time only
- Current accident insurance – must be maintained through the program
Herzing University – Madison Campus
- Website: https://www.herzing.edu/nursing/lpn-program/wisconsin/madison
- Address: 5218 East Terrace Drive, Madison, WI 53718
- Phone: (608) 807-1909
At Herzing’s Madison campus, enrolled students experience hands-on learning at a local hospital and the university’s own long-term care facilities. Aside from the courses listed above, Herzing students will cover nursing ethics, medical-legal, adult health, surgical nursing, and important issues in nursing.
- High school diploma or GED
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Pass the mandatory TEAS
- Evidence that you have passed a high school (grade C or above) level math, biology, or chemistry
- Students with 18 or more college credits are assessed on a cumulative GPA
Employment Opportunities for LPNs in Madison
In Madison, you may find these local employers taking on practical nurses:
Other healthcare facilities: