Becoming an LPN in Durham
There is presently one school in Durham, North Carolina that offers training in practical nursing. A Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report from 2021 found 980 practical nurses in the Durham Metro Area (which includes Chapel Hill); this was 7% of the total number of nurses in the area.
General health and longevity are now on an upward trend, meaning that the demand for nurses will continue to grow throughout in the coming decades.
Practical nursing programs typically progress at a full-time rate, completed in 12-15 months. Those that offer flexible part-time study usually take between 24 and 30 months to complete.
The body responsible for licensing nurses and accrediting practical nursing in Texas is the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
LPN programs typically cover topics in the following areas:
- Human Development & Anatomy
- Human Physiology
- Maternity / Pediatrics
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Nursing Leadership
- Nursing Pharmacology
- Mental Health
- Professional Development
Schools That Offer LPN Programs in Durham, NC
- Website: https://www.durhamtech.edu/programs-pathways/practical-nursing-diploma
- Address: 1637 East Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703
- Phone: 919-536-7200
The Durham Tech LPN program focuses on safe, modern nursing for individualized healthcare. Students learn to work in a team setting and are eligible for the NCLEX-PN upon completion of the program. Students learn in both classrooms and labs, and eventually in supervised clinical settings. Other skills learned include writing and inquiry for healthcare.
- High School Diploma or GED (include transcripts) - minimum GPA 2.8
- Mandatory student orientation session
- Pass the RISE English placement test 2 and the RISE Math placement test 2.
- Alternative to above: complete ENG 002 to level 2, and MAT 003 at level 1
- Pre-requisite courses in writing and inquiry, general psychology, basic anatomy, and math & literacy
- Pass mandatory background checks and drug tests
- Proof of all necessary immunizations
Employment Opportunities for LPNs in Durham
Licensed Practical Nurses in Durham looking for work may find employment at organizations such as the following:
- Lincoln Community Health Center
- Novant Health
- BAART Programs
- UNC Health
- Veritas Collaborative
- North Carolina Dept of Health and Human Services
- CSL Plasma
Other healthcare facilities:
Durham NCLEX-PN Pass Rates
|NCLEX-PN Students Total||77||877|
|NCLEX-PN Students Passed||72||799|
|NCLEX-PN Pass Rate||93.1%||91.1%|
LPN Programs Near Me in Durham
Durham Technical Community College
1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC (919) 536-7200
ECPI University - Raleigh
4101 Doie Cope Road, Raleigh, NC (919) 571-0057