Becoming an LPN in Las Vegas
Those in Las Vegas looking for an entry-level healthcare career may be interested in the practical nursing pathway. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is a government agency responsible for publishing reports on the state of each industry. The last report claimed that 2,040 practical nurses operated in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Area. That made up around 10% of the total number of nurses in the metro region.
Demand for all nurses is expected to increase exponentially in the foreseeable future due to an aging population, greater healthcare access, and overall demand.
LPN programs can be completed in around one year unless the student studies part-time, in which case they can expect study to study for 2 years or more. Students will learn in classrooms, real healthcare settings, and through a mix of lab work and simulated health scenarios.
The Nevada State Board of Nursing is responsible for authorizing both LPN programs and nurse licensing.
Typical subjects covered in a practical nursing program include:
- Skills development
- Information technology
- Human physiology / anatomy
- Obstetrics and gynecology
- Pediatric care (care for children)
- Elder care
- Mental health
Schools That Offer LPN Programs in Las Vegas, NV
College of Southern Nevada
- Website: https://catalog.csn.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=6&poid=2771
- Address: 6375 W. Charleston Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89146
- Phone: 702-651-5000
This small intake program is limited to just 36 students each year. Through traditional classroom, laboratory work, and frontline clinical experience, students learn critical thinking and principles of science in nursing. Other courses at CSN include human relations, family nursing, and nursing management concepts. CSN graduates become eligible for the NCLEX-PN.
- Mandatory meeting with Health Programs Advisor no more than two years prior to program commencement
- Mandatory Health Programs Orientation
- You may only apply if you are already a Certified Nursing Assistant
- High school transcripts including graduation date (alternatively, GED transcripts, and/or any college transcripts)
- Minimum 2.5GPA cumulative score for prerequisite courses (math, English, anatomy & physiology)
- Pass the TEAS with a score of 64.7% or higher, or Kaplan Admission Test of 60% or higher
Employment Opportunities for LPNs in Las Vegas
Las Vegas practical nurses currently looking for employment opportunities will most often find these organizations seeking LPNs:
- UnitedHealth Group
- Cleveland Clinic
- Intermountain Healthcare
- Prime Healthcare
- Women’s Health Associates Southern Nevada
- Comprehensive Eyecare Partners
- Covenant Care California
Other healthcare facilities:
LPN Programs Near Me in Las Vegas
College of Southern Nevada
700 College Dr, Henderson, NV (702) 651-3000